Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Feast or famine...right now it's famine like a mug

My life pretty much consists of work, work, work, classes, hanging out with the girls, spending time with fam...I have a pretty full plate in front of me. But my romantic life is virtually nonexistent. I have absolutely no dating prospects. I have one friend I would date, but the timing is bad. He has lots of potential but he has the mindset of a teenage boy and I'm not digging that. For that reason he remains in the friend zone.

Lack of romance usually doesn't affect me much. I appreciate my solitude, I'm happy with my life and with who I am. I also feel that I'm much better off alone rather than dating some of the guys who cross my path. Seriously, most of them aren't worth a damn. Over the past few years I have encountered very few quality men.

It's not as if I'm one of those diva chicks who has unrealistically high standards and therefore no man is worth being in her presence. My only materialistic qualifications are that a guy should have a job, a car, and be ambitious and well groomed. To me, it's more important that the guy I date treats me with respect, is generous and open minded, fun, easy to talk to, and can fuck the shit out of me and make me scream for Jesus. Most other things are negotiable.

It's so surprising to me how many men there are out there who act like it is impossible to treat a woman with respect (see here, here, here, and here too...damn! Just read the archives.) Respect is one quality that is absolutely non-negotiable. If a man can't respect me then we shouldn't see each other. I think that's why I have no dating prospects. When someone doesn't respect me, I show him the door. I do give them the chance to redeem themselves, but I only give so many chances to come correct. I'm not going to continually let someone treat me bad.

I have to admit that much of my dating drought is self-imposed. It's not as if I don't meet people. I meet men all the time. It's just that most of the ones I meet aren't right for me. Often times they aren't even people I would want to be friends with. I don't want a man just to have one. I want to be with someone who is right for me.

I'm sure the right person for me is out there. I guess right now I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm becoming ready to settle down, but most of the men in my age group aren't. I don't dwell on the fact that I'm single. I don't feel sorry for myself. I'm happy with my life. It would just be nice to have someone to share things with. I'm a woman, it's perfectly normal for me to feel this way.

An upside to not dating anyone is that it allows me to heal and dispose of the excess baggage left behind from past relationships. I haven't had a real relationship in over two years, but dammit some of the people I've dated since then have created some serious emotional baggage. But I've learned a lot, and I'll be emotionally ready for Mr. Right when I meet him.

7 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Diva's Thoughts said...

I so feel you on this. I have a boyfriend now but things are so up in the air with us I have no idea what's going to happen from one day to the next. It's hard to find the right one that you mesh well with.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ the diva - i know i'm not the only young woman who goes through this. from what i read on other blogs this is prevalent. it's really hard out there.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

You know I wholeheartedly agree with this entire post. Though me not dating is starting to get really old fast.

I tagged you. It's on my blog.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ southern lady - dang i'm it huh?

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger *B* Fab said...

love your blog-always. so I shall weigh in b/c i just had a similar talk with myself last night haha over a bottle of wine...don't ask. anywho. I decided, yeah, i'm at a place where I want to settle down and blah blah blah, which is very hard for me to come to terms w b/c im very independant, but dammit! can't I just share this crazy life WITH someone! ugh! so i also decided to go back on my love crusade and get back the man i let go...ugh!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ b - back on the love crusade? imo, just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. good luck on that!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so feel ya on this one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter