Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Hate Vain Men

I really do. I have an issue with men who are overly into themselves. Truthfully I have an issue with people who are overly into themselves.

This issue has arisen very recently since I met and went out with FAREB, the fine-ass real estate broker (thanks Southern Lady for the acronym). I met FAREB at the gym, my new spot to meet men. Seriously. I've met more people at the gym than I have at clubs and bars combined. It's a meat market. Ladies, want to meet some eye candy? Go work out at your local gym. Make sure you wear a cute tank top and yoga pants. No big ugly t-shirts and sweats. I guarantee you will meet someone.

The first few conversations with FAREB were cool. He seemed like a cool person. The stats were good: college educated, good job, no kids, owns his own place, nice car, attractive and fit. His resume looks really good on paper. Things sort of hit a wall when we began to talk about when we were going to see each other and spend some time together. Below is a brief transcript of our conversation:

FAREB: So when are we going to see each other?
Me: I'm busy on Friday. Maybe we can grab dinner or something on Saturday?
FAREB: (hesitatingly) Uh, I just want to see you.
Me: So dinner Saturday isn't good for you?
FAREB: (repeats) I just want to see you.
Me: (pausing) I see.

Call me crazy, but I got the sense the FAREB wasn't really feeling the idea of going out on a date. A few days later when we talked, he expressed to me that he didn't want to take me out on a date because he didn't want to invest money on a date when there was a possibility that things may not progress with us. What. the. fuck.

That had to be the biggest turn off. Seriously. First of all, why would someone operate on the assumption that things may not work out? Granted, that's always a possibility when you're getting to know someone, but its one of those things that you determine WHEN YOU'RE GETTING TO KNOW SOMEONE. You never know if things are going to work out. But dammit if you bring that whack ass attitude to the situation it will most certainly fail. Second, if he didn't want to spring for dinner, can you at least take a chick out for a scoop of ice cream or a Jamba Juice? That's a $5 date right there. I know the negro can spare $5, damn! It's not about dinner, ice cream, or smoothies. I have a job. A good one. I can pay for my own food. I'm not hard up for dinner. The whole idea is to spend time together interacting in a public place. This fool told me, "Well I was thinking we could do something like drive up to Palos Verdes and go to the beach." Uh, no. You may be fine and successful, but so was Ted Bundy and he was a serial killer. Me thinks not.

I expressed all this to him, and I suppose I made a compelling argument because he asked me out to dinner. We had a good time but in the back of my mind I thought, damn I had to go through all this to get a dinner date? Is it really worth it? Sheesh. I had to damn near strong arm him into taking me out.

As I stated in my last post, we had a great time on our date. I suppose he put his initial asshole-ness aside. It resurfaced again a few days ago. Another brief conversation transcript:

FAREB: ...yea, I got a pretty full weekend ahead of me. I booked it solid since someone seems like they don't want to see me.
ME: I'm guessing the someone you're referring to is me. If you wanted to kick it this weekend why didn't you tell me?
FAREB: You don't seem like you have a sense of urgency to see me.
ME: (thinking, are you serious?) I don't have a sense of urgency when it comes to dating. It doesn't mean that I don't like you or want to get to know you, I just let the cards fall how they may. Don't worry about it, we'll get up.
FAREB: Hmph. Well, I have to go, I'll talk to you later.

Wow! BGI doesn't have sense of urgency! You're damn right I don't. I don't give a fuck how fine or successful you are, I sweat no man. I seriously think that he thinks because he's the pick of the litter that women are supposed to fall at his feet. Well guess what boo, I'm the pick of the litter too! I can be as picky and choosy as I want. It's not necessary for me to be pressed because I can have any man I want. In addition, I'm already seeing someone, I'm getting to know FAREB to keep my options open. Right now he has the opportunity to fill my plan B slot because I already have a plan A. He may have it going on but I'm not looking for him to be my end all to be all. Old boy seriously has the game twisted.

I have to admit, it's kind of fun breaking him down a little bit. I can tell that I provide a challenge simply because I'm not making it easy for him. That challenge is what keeps him interested. He's learning the hard way that to get with a quality woman, a man has to put in a little bit of work. He isn't entitled to my time and energy based on his stats. Your resume gets you in the door but the time, effort, and energy you put in keeps you around.

If anything, I'm keeping him around for kicks. He makes for interesting chick gossip and blog entries.

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

This is the story of my life. If I didn't know we were in two different cities, I would think you're talking about the same person I dealt with. I want to tell him to kick rocks! Hmphhh!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ southern lady - apparently the man diva type spans across the US. a part of me wants to kick dude to the curb but my interactions with him are so entertaining i can't help but keeping him around to see what happens. i'm just glad that i don't want to pursue anything serious with FAREB.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger *B* Fab said...

*raising eyebrows at the nerve of this man not wanting to take you out on a date!*

I'm glad you broke him down and I hope you continue to do so! He's a foolish foolish man if he thinks you are going to make his butt a priority! He's simple but he sounds like a good one to keep around!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ b - yes girl, he was not feeling the idea of taking me out on a date. i don't know why, i'm a nice arm piece! lol. he's just an asshole. it's so fun to break him down. i secretly get a kick out of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter