Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Makin' Sure I Don't Miss Homecoming at Howard..."

Now that I have booked my airline ticket, everything is set for my trip to DC next month. My best friend, my college roommate, and myself are going to Howard's homecoming this year. This will be the second consecutive year that I go. Last year was FABULOUS. Although we didn't partake in any of the actual homecoming festivities, we experienced the city and the nightlife. It was a fantastic experience.

When I tell people about going to HU homecoming, they're like, "You didn't go to Howard, what are you going for?" There's no law that says that alumni are the only ones who can go to homecoming. So many people from different places come to DC during homecoming weekend, its ridiculous. The selection of men is off the chain. Men from up and down the east coast from New England to the south. I love it. East coast men have a whole different flavor than those from the west coast. They are much more forward and straight up. While men from LA tend to want women to jock them and not let us know whether they are interested in us, east coast men let you know straight up whether they're interested in you or not. I find that so refreshing. Playing guessing games is for the birds.

Another thing I like about DC is that there is a large population of black professionals. Black people are pretty sparse for the most part in LA. DC definitely lives up to its name, "Chocolate City." However, it kind of weirded me out that some of the men out there wear suits to the club. Preface: I'm about to sound really "LA" right now, but I thought that was hella country. Save your good suits for church, boo. Don't sweat it out at Love.

I probably won't participate in any of the homecoming festivities this year either. What for? I didn't go to Howard (lol) nor am I in college anymore. But I will be a part of the nightlife scene, and I will be observing and macking up east coast men for the duration of that weekend. Can't wait!

8 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger Blu Jewel said...

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you. It's amazing how many Virgo's I've come across lately. Thank you for the birthday shout and the stop by.

I had friends who went to Howard as well as friends who lived in DC and I used to make the annual mecca for the HU homecoming. I haven't been in quite a few years though.

Have a blast like I know you will. Gonna check out your previous posts.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ blujewel: There are a lot of Virgos out there in blogger land isn't there? I plan on having a fantastic time and enjoying the city while I'm out there.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you are something else. Have a good time

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ stacy: I plan on having a great time in DC!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger T.a.c.D said...

Well welcome to my hometown! Call us country, but that's how we gets down...I personally can't stand it either, men in suits in the club, but hey they think they are "getting it" doing that...you know like Diddy...LOL
DC is a great city to visit...actually to live as well if the cost of living wasn't so feaking high..

Well welcome, enjoy...we may even cross paths cause I didn't go to Howard either oh, but will I be out!

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ T.C.: Thanks for stopping by! I don't think people from DC are country per se, but that damn suit in the club thing is some Bama ish. I think DC is a fabulous place and I love it there. If I ever decided to move east I would probably move there (once I accumulate more $$).

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger G. Mo said...

Hey hey now... I grew up in the DC area, attended and graduated from Howard and I've NEVER worn a suit to the club. It gets way too hot up in their to try to be profiling and end up soaked with sweat. With all that being said, I looking forward to homecoming myself. Hope you enjoy yourself when visiting us kuntry folks... lol.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ g-mo: I don't think ALL of you guys are country, just the ones that wear suits to the club, lol. We have Bamas here in LA too, and they are just as bad. But I plan on thoroughly enjoying myself in DC. I had a good time last year and I'm sure this year will be even better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter