Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Birthday Resolutions

I'm 24 today. *Singing Happy Birthday to myself.* Most people make resolutions when the new year begins, but I usually make birthday resolutions. I feel like anytime is a good time to make yourself better.

One of my resolutions is to stop holding grudges against people. Its really not healthy to hold things against people that may have happened years ago. I held a grudge against my college roommate and former friend for several years. She is friends with another friend of mine, so we end up seeing each other and interacting with one another pretty often. She's not necessarily a bad person, but I found myself not wanting to be around her because of things that happened in the past. I'm trying to let go of the grudge, because we have friends in common and it' s inevitable that we will see each other. When I learn how to let go of grudges I can save myself a lot of discomfort.

Another resolution is to stop being so damn impatient. That is probably my biggest weak point. My impatience is the main cause of most of the worry and anxiety I experience. If I can check that my blood pressure would probably go down significantly.

The last resolution (for this birthday. I don't want to take on too much too soon. Baby steps!) is to stop procrastinating so much. I move at my own pace and on my own time and it drives people crazy! I'm usually late for things because I wait until the last minute to do things. I don't like when people rush me and I usually get really annoyed and pissed off when they try to. I would feel a real sense of accomplishment if I could tackle this one.

Of course there are other things about myself that I want to work on, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day. The one thing that all these resolutions have in common is that I'm taking more responsibility for my contribution to my flaws rather than blaming it on external forces. Every day I'm going to strive for improvement. If I backslide a little, hey no one's perfect. Just keep it pushing.

6 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Ms. Confessions said...

Happy Birthday!!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ Woman: Thank you!

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger Blu Jewel said...

I too make make my resolutions on my birthday because I consider it MY new year. I've done some soul searching and such and will gradually put everything in its place. I know some of it won't be easy, but I'm willing to take on the challenge.

May your new year be filled with success, blessings, love, and fullfilment.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@blujewel: I like how you describe your birthday as YOUR new year. Thanks for the birthday wishes!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy balated b-day.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ stacy: Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter