Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Freedom

I'se finally free! At least from the job I hate. I'll be shackled to another job starting next week. But its all good though! My bitch of a boss wasn't happy that I was leaving, but she can eat a fat one for all I care!

In addition to starting a new job, I'm also looking to move out. Believe you me, I love living at home rent free, but I'm ready to be independent and live on my own. And you know Mama is not happy about that. Most people have parents that can't wait until their children leave the nest, but not me. My mother tries to think of every reason in the book why I shouldn't leave, but she is just going to have to deal with it. I think she is suffering from empty nest syndrome, because my little sister just graduated from high school and is about to start college. We aren't babies anymore, so she's freakin' out a little bit.

I'm supposed to go and check out an apartment tomorrow. I'm excited. I'm nervous about breaking out on my own with my feeble income, but I'm confident in myself that I will make things work. If its in God's plan for me to break out on my own right now, it will happen. If he wants me to wait, I have no choice but to accept it. I have to remind myself of that fact, because I tend to get very impatient, and I want what I want when I want it.

I really want to buy a house, but I've been researching the housing market and the prices are astronomical out here. I also began to think I should hold off on it because I don't know where I want to settle. I may decide I want to live outside of LA. I want to live in places outside of California before I settle down and have a family. So until I'm sure of all that, it would be better to keep my housing situation flexible.

The rental rates are high as hell out here. Its well over $1000 a month to live somewhere decent. In a way I wish I qualified for Section 8 or some shit so I can get a rent reduction. There should be some sort of break for people who are just starting out. I know, I know, wishful thinking.

2 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said...

Girl, I have been right where you are. I was 20 when I moved out and my daughter was just turning 3. My mom still did not want me to go and it is not like I was an only child. She has 5 children. Nonetheless she was trying to discourage me from leaving but I knew it was time to go.

I was really skeptical when I brought my house a few years ago, but I really am glad that I did it, but it is also a good idea to wait and see where you want to really be settled.

Anyway I wish you all the best of luck on your new job and your new place when you get it.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ Trina: Thanks for the good wishes! I'm just going to take my time with this whole process and see where it takes me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter