Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Getting My Ish Together

I am in the process of trying to get my life together. I am trying to get myself in a position where I am financially comfortable and stable. I am also trying to move out. Its definitely time. I would have done it a long time ago if the cost of living wasn't so high in LA.

Today I was driving down my street, and I noticed that a house on the corner was for sale. Although I live in the hood, I really like my neighborhood. The houses are actually really nice. People tend to sleep on many of the homes in my city because of the city's reputation. But I know better.

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to purchase the house. It would be a good investment, because if I decide one day that I don't want to live in it, I could rent it out or sell it. Also, the homes in my area are increasing in value because of the housing shortage in Los Angeles. People who fifty years ago moved out of areas where Blacks and Hispanics now reside are moving back to those areas, because homes are so expensive in areas such as Santa Monica, West LA, Hollywood, etc. They are moving south and east, where all the melanin lives.

Its funny, because today I was outside talking to a friend who lives a couple of blocks away, and I noticed a middle aged white woman and what appeared to be her child riding their bicycles down the street. I was like, "Look! White people!" It may sound bad, but the racial makeup of Los Angeles neighborhoods are very clearly defined. Whites on the westside, Blacks and Mexicans in the south, and Mexicans on the east. Its been pretty much like that for the past several decades. My friend was like, "I thought the same thing when I first saw them, but they've been around for a few months. They live down the street from me."

That got me to thinking. If YT is moving back to the hood, that means that there is about to be a demand for housing in the hood. Its so funny that they are going back to the very areas that they left when we moved in. The very areas that are deemed to be "ghetto" and "run down."

And you know with YT coming back they are going to try to get most of us out of here. The police are killing off and incarcerating black men. Its like genocide out here. Its real in the field.

I consulted a friend who does real estate, and he gave me a Cliff Notes version of the home buying process. I trust him, and I know he will look out for my interests (especially when it will put some money in his pocket). I'm about to get this ball rolling. At first I was eager to move out into an apartment, but I'm beginning to think I should hold out for the house.

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Ms. Confessions said...

This is why I had to leave L.A.
My entire world is there, but I couldn't live under my parent's roof any more. Don't get me wrong there was no pressure to leave.

It's just I wanna be grown and on my own. It'll all come in due time for you(smile)...

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ Woman: Seriously, I've been thinking about moving out of LA! I was looking at the housing market in places like Atlanta and Houston, and I could get a PHAT crib for what I would pay to live in a trailer park out here. Its outrageous (sp?). I definitely want to be grown and on my own. Its pretty hard to assert yourself when you are living in the room you grew up in. Like you said, in due time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter