Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Ya girl got a new ride!

The Sentra was turning into a hoopty. The car had some body damage, the transmission was on its way to heaven, and the damn shit acted like it didn't want to accelerate no matter how much I baby-talked it with the pedal to the floor. I had the car for three years. It was an '03 but it looked and drove like I had it for five or ten. It was time for that piece of junk metal to exit stage left. Think about it - how many Nissan Sentras do you see on the road that are more than five years old? If you do its in the slow lane on the freeway or on the side of the road getting a jump.

My own Mama, who pitches a fit every time I even breathe a word about either moving out or buying a new car, even told me after riding in the Sentra on the way to the mall on Tuesday, "Girl, you need to get another car. I don't think this one is going to make it to Saturday." I wasn't actively thinking about getting another car...it was something I would have liked but it wasn't on my to-do list for the immediate future. I said, damn if she's telling me I need a new car, I should consider it.

The first issue I was confronted with was money. My savings are paltry because I insist on having a life. I didn't have a down payment. All I had was that raggedy ass Sentra. I literally went down to Schaier's Nissan in Signal Hill on a wing and a prayer.

I went down, perused the lot, and test drove the 2007 Nissan Altima. I don't know any other way to describe that car other than sexy and fabulous. Perfect for me. It complements me. ;-)

I fell in love during the test drive. I'm not even an Altima fan, I originally wanted a Murano. But this car has power everything, MP3 and blue tooth hookups, it's spacious, sleek...I was smitten. I chose precision grey, between silver and charcoal grey.

Then came the talk of numbers. Somehow I negotiated with the dealer to postdate the down payment over my next two pay periods. And apparently I was in good standing with the finance company because I paid the car note on the Sentra in full and on-time every month, so I got approved for another loan with ease. And, I found out that my credit score was up 30 points from the last time I checked it six months ago. I walked in that piece with no money and walked out in two hours with a brand new car! If I don't have a testimony, then I don't know what it is. God is good!

You know I thought I was the shiznit walking out of there. Couldn't tell me nothin! The car draws so much attention. And I look fabulous driving it. When I was driving down the street I got a lot of looks, and this morning on my way to work this cute guy was driving next to me looking all up in my car! I mean like this negro's body was turned and his head was out the window. Lol. Was he checking for me? The car? Both?

If I don't leave my readership with anything else from this post, I want to express the importance of paying bills on time. Your credit rating matters so much. If your shit is bad you can't get a car, you can't get a place to live, you can't even get a damn phone. Well, you can but it's going to cost you. Prioritize, pay your shit, and save dough!

I sound like a ghetto Suze Orman. I like my quote. I'm copyrighting that shit right now.

Damn did I curse and praise God in one post? I told ya'll I was a heathen. Peace ya'll.

12 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prioritize, Pay your shit and Save Dough....that definitely needs to be copyrighted...Altima commercial on the tv as I type this...I'm still pushing a 96 Altima...that engine light stay on...waiting for the doors to drop off..no money in the bank but the credit is looking nice

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger *B* Fab said...

"Prioritize, pay your shit, and save dough!"

I absolutely LOVE it chick! I was SO not going to pay one of my bills this month b/c I'm getting my passport for my vaca, BUT instead, I'm just going to get a side job so I can have some play change in my pocket AND 'pay my shit!'

Have a fabulous weekend in your new ride!!!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Dopelikelouboutins said...

Congrats on your blessings gurlie! Amen to paying the bills on time, it's amazing how the little things add up til you're ready to make a major purchase (car,house, small business loan etc). Hopefully the guy was checking you and your car out lol.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ everything - thanks for commenting. trust me, i understand your position. all that matters is that you have your goals in mind and you're doing what you need to do to get where you want to be.

@ b - you have the right idea! please don't slip on those bills because it may come back to bite you in the ass.

you know i'm going to be stunting this weekend. not too out of pocket though, lol.

@ diamond - very true. i'm glad i had been staying on top of my finances.

i think that guy was checking for both. lol.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Diva's Thoughts said...

Congrats girl!!! That is fantastic!!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

Congrats on the new ride! Sometimes I regret getting the 06, instead of the 07. I'd just come out in November when I bought mine. It drives like a dream!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

Oh yeah-good lookin on that credit score, girl! No down payments-that's what I'm talking about!

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prioritize, pay your shit, and save dough!

Huh...if only more people would do that...

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ diva - thanks!

@ southern lady - the '07 is the business. i love the new body style.

girl, i was juiced about that no down payment!

@ funky fresh - what's up dude?

it's not easy. i've only recently begun to follow my own advice.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger yummy411 said...

BGI- congrats on the new ride! it's so weird cuz i constantly go back and forth about trying to make moves with my ride... but then i'll say i need to be content with my dependable ride and just stay within my means.... i've noticed the new altima... i've never been an altima fan either, but this one i've been drawn too... ooh girl! congrats again!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

Nissan is recallingf some 07 Altimas.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/BIZ/70710014

I just found this on another blog.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ yummy - thanks! if your ride is dependable i totally agree with staying within your means. in my case the sentra was on its last leg so it was time to upgrade. i've never been an altima fan either, until i test drove this one.

@ southern lady - thanks for the heads up! i'll be taking my car back to the dealership for replacement parts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter