Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Que Pasa Ya'll

I absolutely have to learn Spanish. I've been living in Southern California my entire life, but I never picked up the language. I know a few curse words here and there, and I know how to ask where the bathroom is, but that's about it.

I'm a tutor for an organization that services students throughout LA County. Specifically, we help kids who have low scores on the state exams. Many of the students are children of immigrants, whose ability to speak English is very limited. To adapt to them and to be able to relate to them better, I need to learn Spanish.

I just got off the phone with one parent who had to put one of the children on the phone to translate the conversation. If I am going to be a teacher in Los Angeles County, this is going to be something I'll have to face on a regular basis.

Being bilingual helps on the job too. I see so many job postings asking for bilingual candidates. I'll be way more marketable if I learn Spanish.

I see what my next venture is.

Adios,

BGI

2 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just speak Spanglish and it worked for me and my homies when we went to Cancun! lol I did most of the speaking and translating, but Spanglish, yeah it's good enough LOL!!!!!

No need to go and learn how to conjugate verbs and the such tee hee

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ b - i hear you girl, in all reality i got way too much other stuff going on than to be learning a new language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter