Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Friday, February 15, 2008

doin hollywood

I usually stay away from the whole Hollywood scene. Although it's fun it can be a bit too superficial and pretentious for my taste. What can I say? I'm a ghetto nerd/urban hippie who thinks she's too good to kick it with the Hollywood folks. Fuck it, I'm a native. I'm allowed to be that way. But anyway, since the pseudo had to work on the Image Awards on Valentine's day, he invited me and my peoples to the show. Even though me and him couldn't spend time together one on one, at least we got to hang a little bit.

The show was good, although I find it more entertaining to people watch when I'm doing the Hollywood thing. Sidebar: In my opinion, Hollywood is not only a place here in LA, it also describes a state of mind or a state of being. It becomes who you are. Sometimes people are just really Hollywood. Wearing shades to the club at night=Hollywood. Responding with, "do you know who I am?" when people don't acquiesce to you=Hollywood. Trying to come up in the entertainment game by any means necessary, which very likely may include compromising your integrity=Hollywood. Introducing yourself as Snoop's cousin/Alicia Keys's stylist/Jada Pinkett's assistant's assistant=Hollywood. I think you catch my drift.

The actual award show was nice, but the after party to the Image Awards was the jump off. It was hosted by Doug E. Fresh, who after all these years can still rock a crowd like it's nobody's business. That's definitely the dude you want to have at your bar mitzvah, know what I mean? He had the WHOLE crowd jumping, singing along, dancing...I've never personally witnessed someone rock a crowd like that. And he does the Doug E. Fresh move so smoothly. Me and my BFF were crushing on him. We were like two 80s groupies out there.

My favorite part of the night was when Doug E. was up on stage beat boxing, and then Stevie Wonder came onstage and started singing along with him. While Doug E. was beat boxing! It was a perfect musical moment of straight up hip hop and classic soul coming together. It was live, it was acapella, it felt like history. That is a moment I will never forget.

We were supposed to leave the party at 11pm, to get home in time enough to grab at least 6 hours before having to get up for work the next day. At 11pm I was out on the dance floor doin da butt (ah, sexy sexy!) with some dude with a perm. I didn't make it home until about 1:30am.

Still made it in to work, albiet super tired. I made it through the day though. But the night I had before was well worth the sluggishness I felt today.

Doin da butt,

BGI

2 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget doin' da butt, dude really had a perm?!?!?

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ funky fresh - yes, in 2008. and it was stiff and nappy too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter