Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Friday, July 28, 2006

TGIF

This week went by pretty quickly. Thank God. Pretty soon, I'll be out of the hell hole also known as my place of employment. Well, its not really that bad; I'm putting extras on it. But I hate that damn place.

I received a job offer today. It wasn't my first choice, but when I really thought about it, the position I was offered would be better for me right now. My first choice was a position at an entertainment public relations agency. But the more I think about it, I'm not really interested in working in entertainment. It sounds really cool on the surface, but for some reason I've just never really been interested in the field. I would only want the benefits of going to the parties and getting free stuff, but I don't want to deal with superficial bullshit everyday. We're bombarded with it by the media. Don't want it to be a part of MY life.

Another thing is that the pr agency only consists of two people. Huge red flag. How come there are no other employees? On the agency's website like 3 or 4 extra people are listed as employees, but they were all let go. A mass exodus of people=not a good sign. Hmmmm. Suspect. Plus, if some shit goes down and I have a grievance, there is no one to go to. There is no human resources department. Not a good look. Another thing that wigs me out about really small companies is that some of them tend to have unstable financial situations going on. For instance, for my very first full time job out of college, I worked at a very small law firm. The partner was also the office manager and human resources. Sometimes he would "forget" to call in payroll when he was supposed to, resulting in me not getting my check when I was supposed to. Again, not a good look.

The company I accepted the job offer for is a direct marketing company whose major client is an insurance company. Sure, the product sucks. Marketing insurance is hardly intriguing. But the people at the company are cool and I'm going to get off early every Friday during summer. I get free lunch if I don't go out, and I get my birthday off. Plus free soda, juice, and bagels every day. I don't know about anyone else, but I am easily won over with the promise of free food. That's money I save on buying lunch.

Sure, I'm going to be thoroughly annoyed with my coworkers at my new job. But, I'll actually be doing stuff, I'm going to be learning about marketing, I'll be making more money, working closer to home, and last but not least I'm not going to be the only black person in the office. At least that makes me feel like I wasn't hired to fulfill a quota, but because I am qualified. I'll try to refrain from berating my coworkers every time they come at me sideways. I'll try to learn to bite my tongue. I can't say I will though. Because if another white person asks me if my hair is real (like black girls can't have naturally long hair), I'm going there. Please believe.

So tonight, its a celebration bitches. Me and my college friends are going to go out, get tore down, and talk shit.

Live life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter