Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

I'm feeling rather ambivalent toward my work situation. I still hate my job. I've grown to despise my boss. But I love my coworkers, and I have excellent benefits. What's a girl to do?

I have been actively looking for another job. I've been searching for something in marketing and event planning. I have a couple of leads, and now I'm confronted with the reality that I may find the perfect job. I should be ecstatic. But I feel torn.

Everyone says, "Well, wherever you go, whatever job you take, there is going to be bullshit." True. I left my last job because I got sick of dealing with a wishy washy boss, psycho coworkers, and too little pay for too much work. I thought it would be cool on the new job, but now I deal with a bitchy, elitist boss, gossipy coworkers, and little to no job responsibility.

Honestly, I would be more apt to deal with the bullshit if I was in a career I loved. But to deal with so much bull in a place where I can't really see myself is not the business.

My overall happiness and opportunities for growth are much more important to me than medical, dental, and a 401 (k). I already know that that is my mother's voice speaking to me, saying "Child, you better get a good job with benefits and keep it." To her, stability is much more important than having a fulfilling career. I agree that stability is important, but its not everything. I want it all. I want the job I love with the phat ass benefits. Truth be told, I can still have the job I love and pay for my own damn benefits. This is the 21st century. We got options.

There are two types of people in the world of work. There are worker bees, and there are people who want careers. I just figured out which one I was. I need to be doing something I actually like from 9 to 5. I'll be damned if I spend 40+ hours a week for the next 20 years doing something I can't stand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter