Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Friday, June 06, 2008

stir crazy, and other things

I think I'm going stir crazy. Seriously. I'm not the type of person who can sit in the house all day doing nothing. Not working is driving me insane. I'm so used to being busy and overwhelmed and it's shocking to all of a sudden be in a place where it's the exact opposite. I'm bored as hell. And when I'm bored, I get myself in a lot of trouble.

To be totally honest, I'm looking for work but I'm being very picky. I want my next job to be something that I enjoy and that's going to help propel me forward in my career. I want to continue my career in online advertising, become an expert, and eventually branch out on my own. Sure I could take any old office job, or go work at Coffee Bean or Target. But I would be unhappy, bitter, jaded, disgruntled, overqualified.

Actually, Coffee Bean wouldn't be that bad until the next gig comes along. They have the best coffee ever. I think the company offers benefits to part time and full time employees too. I'll give it another month, and if I don't find something, then "Welcome to Coffee Bean, how may I help you?"

My family is pressuring me to get a civil service job. "The economy is so bad," they say. "Get a government job, it's stable." Right. Me? Work for the gov't? Hmmmm no thanks. I don't knock anyone who chooses that path but it's not one for me. For me that would be settling into something that I don't really want to do. And I don't believe in settling.

Right now my creativity is at an all time high. Without the stress of that hellish job, I have the mental headspace to brainstorm and figure out what it is I truly want in a job and in my career. I figured out that I want a career and not just a job. I need to stop flip flopping and stick with one thing at a time. Give myself time to explore avenues before moving on to the next so quickly. And that I need to take more risks. There have been times when I let fear hold me back from taking risks, and not taking risks makes you lose out on opportunities. It's smart to be cautious, but not too cautious.

So what's up next for BGI?

1. Interning at my DJ school. It's unpaid, but at least it will keep me busy and allow me to develop my skill set. I want to focus on online advertising for the school. I want to be an expert. This can possibly turn into a job.

2. Freelance online advertising. Since I don't have a job yet, I have to find projects where I can.

3. Stripping. Just kidding! I wish I had the audacity to do it. I'm serious. They get paid good money. Fuck me for having dignity. But if I get desperate enough I may do it.

4. Taking another DJ class. This is another source of potential income, and it's so much fun. I love it.

5. Freelance writing. It's my passion.

6. Continued partying and ass shaking. It's my specialty.

Somehow, some way I'll make the best of my sabbatical. I don't consider myself unemployed, just taking an unexpected break from work. It's bad, but it's all good. I refuse to let this situation bring me down and fuck with my optimism.

Peace,

soul sista bgi

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Southern_Lady said...

It's good that you have something to take up your time. I can imagine the boredom. I had two weeks off for Christmas last year and I almost drove myself crazy, or into a depression. lol. Keeping busy is a catch 22. Have fun!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Black Girl Interrupted said...

@ southern lady - hi. you're so right, keeping busy is a catch 22. when you're super busy, sometimes it can be overwhelming. and then when you're not busy at all, you go stir crazy. what can ya do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter