Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

power to the people

Yesterday, as I swooped by 7-Eleven in Inglewood to grab some casings for my trees, there were two young ladies posted near the entrance distributing publications to passers-by. "Power to the people!" they exclaimed with pride, to anyone within earshot.

As I made my way from my car to the entrance, one of them said to me, "Sister don't forget to stop by on your way out and pick up some literature." Ok, I said.

I went inside, did my business and came back out. Went over to homegirl and got the literature from her. "Thank you and stay beautiful my sister," she said to me, and gave me the fist. I smiled, got in my car and pulled off.

The literature she gave me was a periodical of some sort for the Black Riders Liberation Party. They refer to themselves as the "new generation of Black Panthers"and their goal is to serve and protect the black community from "racist oppressors" by "whatever means necessary."

My encounter with the two sisters from the Black Riders opened my mind way up. Sometimes I see Black Riders around South LA, usually at major intersections marching and chanting "Black Power! Power to the People!" to motorists and pedestrians. They're out there with the rest of the neighborhood hustlers who sell t-shirts, fruit, mixtapes, Victoria's Secret body products (yes, there are folks on Slauson & Crenshaw selling Victoria's Secret lotion). But I would always take a look and keep going. I had never taken the time to hear them out and see what they were about.

I took the time out to peruse the periodical, and there was much talk of policing the police, armed self-defense, and intercommunalism. It was very revolutionary; it was fascinating. I can't say I agree with all of their beliefs and tactics, but I can relate to the love of black people. I love my people but the Black Riders are down for the cause.

Definitely a mind-opening encounter. It was one of those situations where the stuff you learned in school became relevant. Black revolutionaries are both glorified and demonized in history, and rightfully so. There are a lot of good intentions that are not always executed well. But if the goal is to educate someone, that's what happened to me. A lesson learned on the way to 7-Eleven to pick up a couple of swishers.

stay beautiful my peeps (no color lines)

bgi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter