Black Girl Interrupted

Laid back, down to earth, & quirky, but also a little bit of a diva...yeah that's me. An oxymoron right? I'm a gumbo of thangs. I refuse to be pigeonholed into any categories! I'm a native Southern Californian living life in the City of Angels. I'm one of the very few Angelenos who is not into the whole Hollywood thing, but I'm still an LA chick through and through. I'm one of those people who lives in her own world. I don't do everything, I just do me.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

California Dreamin'

My fucking sinuses are killing me. The Southern California air is so polluted right now, there's a thick cloud of smoke, dust, and debris hovering over us. I could imagine how those who lost their homes are suffering, but the remnants of the catastrophe affect those of us who live several miles away.

I live in the basin. The wildfires are concentrated mostly in San Bernadino County, Northern LA County, San Diego County, and Orange County, all of which are more than 20 miles away. It's like a ring of fire around Los Angeles County. Although the fires are quite a distance from the greater LA County, we are still experiencing smoke in the air and soot on our cars.

It's sprinkling today, this is the first sign of precipitation we've had in months. Hopefully we'll get a big rain storm that will wash away the polluted air. Then maybe those warnings to stay indoors will be lifted.

When I was a kid I used to have nightmares about fires. Earthquakes too. But I never thought something like this would happen. Sixteen wildfires that burned thousands of square miles, causing over $1 billion in damages.

When things like this happen I can't help but feel melancholy. Like we're living in the last days. I felt the same way after 9/11, and after Hurricane Katrina. Every couple of years there's some sort of mass destruction. The frequency of such events makes me a little afraid. I don't believe these are coincidences. I don't believe in coincidences.

I can't believe no one has said the T word yet. There is much talk of arson, but I haven't heard any speculation that the California wildfires are a possible terrorist attack. When you think about the impact - millions of displaced people, physical damage to people's home and the environment - it has the markings of a terrorist attack. A terrorist attack of this kind is especially fearful, because how can you prevent someone from starting a fire? It could have been anyone.

There is also a little bit of talk about insurance fraud. It seems timely that something like this would happen right after millions of homebuyers went into foreclosure. If your home burns down and you still owe on it, fire insurance will cover the loss.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that we're living in the last days. I feel like all I can do is do right by others, maintain a close relationship with my creator, and live my life to the fullest. I feel really sad for my state. I pray for those who were affected by these wildfires, and I wish them the best in rebuilding their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Hit Counter